Search

Richmond Senior Annex History - 5801 Huntington Avenue


• The building was constructed in 1937 as a firehouse for the Richmond Annex and served the community in that capacity for 39 years until it’s closing in 1976.


• In 1977 the City of Richmond budgeted money to convert the firehouse into a Senior facility and in February 1979 work was finally started.


• On January 7, 1980 the doors opened for senior residents of 50 plus years. Seniors and members of the Neighborhood Council worked as volunteers to operate the center initially. They performed maintenance, ran many of the programs and held fundraisers, which helped defray the operating cost.


• The center offered recreational and human services, arts and crafts, exercise classes, excursions, speakers and many other programs. Eventually staffing was provided and these programs continued to flourish.


• In the years of 1982 and 2004 city staff was laid off due to budget constraints. Seniors and volunteers ran the center until the city re-established funding and staffing.


• The center has served as a meeting place for the Annex community, a polling place for elections and held various community events.